I got this recipe for protein bars from the lulu lemon site. I had to make quite a few modifications so I will post the modified recipe for ya!
These bars are definitely decadent and a real favorite post work out snack around here!
1 cup ground almond
½ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup maple syrup or honey
¼ cup raw cacao powder and ¼ cup chocolate protein powder …..mix all together and add enough almond milk to bring it together
- Middle layer
1 cup almond meal
½ cup coconut flour
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut and ½ cup vanilla protein powder
2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
1 tsp vanilla extract….same thing on this layer, add almond milk slowly until it isn’t crumbly
- Caramel layer
3 cups dates, pitted……I soak mine in hot water until nice and soft, they blend better
2 tbsp coconut milk
2 tbsp coconut butter (optional)
1/3 cup coconut oil
- Chocolate topping
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
¼ cup raw cacao powder
6 oz dark chocolate
- Line a square(9×9) or rectangle baking tray (8×11) with parchment paper. This will ensure your treat will be easily lifted out of the tray without compromising your layers. (Try not to use a very large baking tray, as you want your slices to be plump.)
- To start off your treat, grab all of your nutty base ingredients and place into a food processor and blend.
- Place the base ingredients in the tray and firmly press down the mixture. Place the tray in the freezer while you work on your next layer.
- The same method again for the next layer—place all the crunch ingredients into the food processor and blend.
- Place the crunch mixture in the tray and firmly press down the layer. Place the tray in the freezer while you work on your next layer.
- Now the best bit, the caramel layer! Place all ingredients in your food processor and blend. If your dates are sticking to the sides simply scrape the sides and keep blending.
- Pour the caramel mixture into the tray and even out the mixture (a spatula is best for this part to even out the gooey caramel). Place the tray in the freezer while you work on your next layer.
- Finally the chocolate layer! In a mixing bowl mix all ingredients together until you have a smooth consistency. Freeze overnight or for at least 4 hours, remove from pan, slice and then drizzle with chocolate topping…
Tip: when cutting your slices use a warm, sharp knife to ensure your slices cut clean.